This past month I decided to begin doing yoga once a day for at least 15 minutes. I was looking for relief from my anxiety and stress. My doctor suggested I pray 10 minutes a day to alleviate the tension in my body. I decided to try this but found sitting still was not by strong point so I sought an active way to quiet my mind before God. I began doing yoga for at least 15 minutes a day. In the past 30 days (January 2014) I did Yoga 22 out of 30 days for at least 15 minutes, many time up to an hour.
Some Christians have apprehension doing yoga, however yoga is a set of exercises we can dedicate to God.
Here are the benefits I received:
1. Reduced anxiety: The tension melts away from my body when I do yoga. I noticed on days I do not do yoga I am tense and irritated.
2. Fewer body aches: When I do yoga my body hurts less. Anxiety causes the body to ache throughout the day from the buildup of tension. Yoga stretching enables me to move without pain.
3. Better Preaching delivery: I’ve noticed I’m more relaxed when I preach on Sunday morning. I’m more in control of my delivery. Hopefully the congregation noticed as well.
4. Better able to care for my family: When I’m anxious I can’t be present with my wife and son. When I not anxious I can care for them.
5. Eating better: Anxiety causes food cravings. For me that meant a craving for salty snacks. When is do yoga I have a desire for healthy foods which don’t make me feel worse after eating them.
6. More Time: With anxiety, I seem to never have enough time. I feels as though time is crashing in on me. When I do yoga, I am able to prioritize what is important.
7. Physical healthy: Doing yoga shaped my physical body in one short month. I am physically stronger (useful when picking up a nine month old baby). I am in the best shape of my life and am just getting starting.
8. True Confidence: With anxiety, I forced myself to have confidence to make it through the day. Daily yoga dedicated to God has given me a true confidence to approach the day. I no longer have to tell myself I am loved, but believe it because God is love.
9. Clothes fit better: Anxiety causes my clothes to feel awkward on me. They either feel too tight or too loose. Now they fit how they should.
10. Peace with the World: Anxiety causes me to be tense toward life. I am just not able to cope wit